Thursday, April 19

UFC NEWS: George St. Pierre: I'm Moving to 185 to Avoid Fighting Rory MacDonald


According to the latest news from the cut-throat world of mixed martial arts, former UFC welterweight champion, and the king of the 170 pounders, Georges St-Pierre, is not keen on facing his newest training-partner, the young phenom, Rory 'Ares' MacDonald.

GSP will be at cageside in Atlanta this Saturday for the UFC 145 event and to root for MacDonald, a 22-year-old top-prospect who's also Canadian, who's facing his next test in Che Mills, a debuting British cagefighter.

"I know one day he [MacDonald] is going to be a UFC world champion. I'm not interested in fighting him. There are a lot of welterweights out there. I don't think I need to fight MacDonald right now," said St. Pierre with an uncertain tone, knowing full well that President  Dana White pulls the strings.

Speaking of White, the next thing St. Pierre said was interesting, in that he sounded as if he would need to 'get the hell outta Dodge' so to speak, if he was ever forced by White to fight MacDonald:

"In two years we may fight, who knows? I may go to middleweight. Who knows what's going to happen? stated the former champ.

Could it be that MacDonald poses more of a threat than Nick Diaz or Carlos Condit--the latter being a New-Mexican native, and fellow Greg Jackson camp training partner of St. Pierre?

"I have a hard time fighting guys I like" GSP said. "When I fought Jake Shields, I had a hard time fighting him. So fighting a friend? I can't do it. Right now, there are so many guys right now, it's not an issue."

We all know how boss White feels about the whole idea of Friends refusing to fight Friends. So I'm sure if MacDonald continues his winning ways, you can bet that another Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch type scenario may soon arise. Nothing good ever comes from that. 

The great boxer Larry Holmes once faced his close friend and sparring partner Muhammad Ali.

Holmes defeated Ali On October 2, 1980, at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

After the fight Holmes went to Ali's room:


"Then why did you? Ali asked, laughing softly."

Stay tuned.
 ~~  
"Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? How I wish, how I wish you were." - Pink Floyd


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...